Project Name and Location
Dumfries House, Cumnock
Overall Project Cost
Natural Stone Cost
Dumfries House is a Palladian country house in Ayrshire, Scotland. It is located within a large estate, around 2 miles west of Cumnock. Noted for being one of the few such houses with much of its original 18th-century furniture still present, including specially commissioned Thomas Chippendale pieces, the house and estate is now owned in charitable trust by The Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust, which maintains it as a visitor attraction and hospitality and wedding venue. Both the house and the gardens are listed as significant aspects of Scottish heritage.
The present house was built in the 1750s for William Dalrymple, 5th Earl of Dumfries, by John Adam and Robert Adam. Having been inherited by the 2nd Marquess of Bute in 1814, it remained in his family until 2007 when the 7th Marquess sold it to the nation for £45 million due to the cost of upkeep.
To date there have been a number of significant projects within the estate, including the construction of the Walled Gardens, the development of the site around the house and the restoration of Dumfries House Temple. The restoration of the estate is set to continue indefinitely with a variety of sandstones being used to best match the characteristics of the estate.